It’s difficult to leave a place where you watched your kids grow and spent a good chunk of your life.
That’s why when senior citizens have to move to a new place, relocation gets more stressful.
The decision to move is the most difficult step for senior citizens. Who would like to leave a home that symbolizes your past? However, the need to be closer to family and friends, change in lifestyle and retirement forces them to relocate.
Here is a senior relocation checklist that will help seniors have a hassle-free relocation experience.
Relocation tips for senior citizens
- Find a reliable local moving company and book them at least a month before the moving day.
- Start packing your stuff a few weeks before moving. Or, ask a local moving company to pack your stuff. While moving large appliances, ask the movers to take note of the owner’s manual instructions for moving.
- Disconnect your cable, internet, and utilities a few days before your move.
- Stack dishes upward while packing.
- Always use a packing paper. Use colored paper to pack small items. This way they will not get misplaced.
- Use the original boxes to pack electronic items. Make sure to keep all the related cables in the same box.
- Label your boxes, not only in the top but on sides also. Make sure to write ‘This Side Up’ on the boxes with fragile items.
- Don’t just interlock the boxes. Make sure that you properly take them.
- Pack important documents such as family records, insurance information, photo albums separately and keep them close to you.
- Make sure that everything you are taking is packed a day before the move.
Check our relocation blog for more information on relocation.