So you have finally decided to move with your pet. Remember that moving with pets is as stressful as moving with kids or elders. Before you set off with your pet, make sure you have positive answers to the questions below:

  • Is my pet in good health?
  • Will my pet act normal during the travel?
  • Is my pet allowed in my new neighborhood?

If your answer to these three questions is “Yes”, your move will be smooth and easy, but if the answer to any of these is a “No”, I am afraid you might have to start revising your options.

Here are some FAQs and their answers that will help you while you are moving with your pet.

FAQs: Moving with Pet

What should I carry with me?

Health and rabies certificates are important, especially if you are traveling through air. Your pet’s food bowls, grooming tools, and medications are also equally important during the travel.

For worst-case scenarios, you might also have to carry tranquilizers and sedatives, but make sure to use the dosage prescribed the doctor.

Are there entry requirements for interstate moving?

Most of the states in the US require health certificates, especially for dogs and horses. Every state requires a rabies certificate for dogs and cats. If you are moving abroad, request the State Veterinarian to provide the certificate.

What if my pet gets lost during the move?

Attach a travel identification tag to your pet. The tag should include your name, phone number, and address of your new location so that your pet is safely returned to you.

Next thing you can do is contact animal care agencies and Missing Pet Network near you.

How do I ensure a safe airline trip for my pet?

  • Plan a trip with few stops and transits.
  • While you are making a reservation, tell the airline company directly that you have a pet with you.
  • Take your pet to a walk before leaving for the airport.
  • If you are moving your pet through the cargo system, you will need to go to the cargo terminal.
  • Many airline companies allow their owner to carry cats and small dogs with them by charging an additional fee. Consult with the company on this.

Are there special considerations for bird travel abroad?

If you are taking your bird with you, you must get all the important documents from the Department of the Interior’s U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. You should get a health certificate of your pet from a USDA-APHIS veterinarian.